Wednesday, July 24, 2019

it was unlike anything i had ever seen before.

below my feet stood a ridiculously deep hole surrounded by an array of colourful rocks and edges. if i looked close enough, i could see several trails with a copious amount of mule poop covering them, and many courageous hikers carefully making their way around it and through the trail my friend and i had chosen to conquer that morning, too.

the hike down was fairly easy outside of a few really slippery slopes, but the way back up was an ... uphill battle.

i learned a lot about myself and life during my hike, though.

i learned that past experiences really do help you build resilience. it wasn't uncommon for me to remind myself along the way that i had conquered two major, strenuous mountains in the past. recounting these specific times reminded me that, although i found this hike extremely difficult at times, i was capable of completing it.

my friend, who is way more fit than i am and could have reached the top in half of the time that we did, was great with me. she was patient, let me take breaks when i needed, made sure i was fueled with snacks, coached me on how much water i was drinking when i got a stomach cramp, reminded me of a more effective way to breathe when i was breathing like puff the magic dragon, and pushed me on the last leg of the trip when the end was in sight. although there wasn't a moment where i didn't think i could do it, having her beside me reminded me of how much further (and faster) we can go in life when we do it together and that no journey is meant to be traveled alone.

sometimes, keeping your eyes on the prize helps, but other times, focusing on the step ahead of you does. at the beginning of the way back up, looking at where we had come from seemed daunting and so far away and would have discouraged me to think about how far we had left to go, so i pulled my hat lower to block my view (and the hot, hot sun) and paid attention to each 'next' step. when i saw the "when mules pass" sign at the bottom of the last hill, however, i redirected my attention to the finish line. there's a time for both, after all.

i gained strength from the messages my friends sent me beforehand, a timely "you got this" from my travelling companion, positive self talk, and the gospel music i blared through my headset when i found myself needing a little more than all of the above.

i reminded myself of where i came from and the importance of enjoying the journey by choosing to look behind and around every time i stopped to catch my breath, and made sure that i took time to celebrate this huge accomplishment once i got to the top. i think there are lessons to be learned in that, too ;)

all in all, i'm very happy i did it; i felt proud of myself, the rim hike we did afterwards felt like a breeze in comparison and the sun set we watched at the end of it brought our beautiful day to a close in the most perfect way.

No comments:

Post a Comment