Wednesday, November 14, 2012

believe it or not, i'm a sucker for documentaries. i love learning about creation, social issues, and people. give me an interesting documentary and its' images will be engrained in my mind for as long as i live.

take terry fox for example. i've known about his story for as long as i can remember, but something stuck out to me as i watched a documentary on him a few years back.

terry got tired. here he was running across canada with a wooden leg and cancer in his lungs. sweat poured down his face. fear could be seen in his eyes. yet he had a cause; a focus, and he chose to keep his eyes on that with every step.

but his cause wasn't all that kept him going.

people did.

just when he wanted to give up, someone gave him a pat on the back, yelled a "we believe in you, terry or a "keep going, you're going to make it!" from the sidelines.

this is what my recent trip to kansas was for me; a much needed reminder that i, paula castrucci, am believed in.

prior to my trip, i was fighting discouragement and battling depression, caused by none other than the time of the month, the fact that i am unemployed and have far too much time to think, and the fact that i have yet to find peace in light of my dad passing away almost a year a go. i woke up the morning of my flight not having the energy to get to the bus station to ensure i made it in time for my flight, but something in me told me to get up and go any ways. and am i ever glad i did.

after a long day of travel, i was greeted at the airport by some of the world's greatest youth equipped with welcome signs and hugs. within seconds, i felt an enormous amount of love, which carried me through the night, week, and is carrying me through the unknown even now.

i can't tell you how special my family in kansas made me feel. from home cooked meals, to starbucks, to warm hospitality, i was well taken care of. not to mention the fact that the student ministry there blessed me with several books and resources for ministry, which included a whole bible commentary set; an investment that has left me speechless to this day.

prior to the trip, i didn't have much fight left in me and had lost my focus. just when i wanted to quit i heard a "come on, paula - you can do this. im fighting with you" coming from the sidelines. a few people showed genuine concern for me. some embraced me. others prayed, and all encouraged.

it may have been the documentary that first reminded me of the crucial role that those cheering terry on from the sidelines played in his journey, but it was those cheering me on this past week that reminded me of the crucial role that you and i have in each other's lives today.

who is spurring you on? who are you spurring on?

"by no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. i’m off and running, and i’m not turning back. so let’s keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. if any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision—you’ll see it yet! now that we’re on the right track, let’s stay on it" [philippians 3:14-16 MSG]

No comments:

Post a Comment